Speaking Poem

For R, who took the wheel

My mum said she felt
pins and needles
when we would cross 
into the circle.
Reaching for the stones at the weekend
I wanted to find them humming
I think they did, but I wanted to - uncanny

I try to say I 
it's not like I’m new age - 
I try to say well
they’re strange.
Unfortunately there is a schedule for worship in the stones
to stand in circles inside circles and I don’t expect
I will be able to get an hour to myself to walk around

and just say - 
“wow - 
this is weird huh?”
as if I weren’t alone.
Anyway now I’m thinking about my fist turning to stone
and opening it up after centuries to find the surgeon barber
the skeleton of misadventure. You know the man. 

and just say
and just say 
-
-
This is the point I think when you ran down a slope
and I got mad because you weren’t listening to me
or I wasn’t speaking, or I don’t know why I was mad

Uncivilised there where
we stand and see no building
in the fields, or even fields
much
Wholly, here we press ourselves against the monoliths
and you explain to me about silence, and the stones 
are silent. I sit down and hold a map which is where

you kiss me
nothing saucy but
from a passing car
“get a room!”