OUR FRIENDSHIP

Your poems

Brian friend
I do not wish to patronise you
I do not wish to
tell you how to feel
if people laughed at your poems
it was because they loved
your poems
you write wonderfully and I am jealous
you write with real vigour.
When I come to write I feel up-tight.
I feel, impossibly taut in the shoulders
I feel.
each punctuation point each mark
misses the point. Stop.  I can only
string words only on to tight threads.
But stirring words.
You write stirringly.
You write me.
Strongly.
Please.
I need you to know that I read your poems
aloud, and I know it was wrong
in a way it was
wrong.
I know.
But I read your poems and I need you
to know.
That I read them aloud because people should
hear them and in truth, I liked to be heard
reading them. I want to be allowed
to.
We were young boys then, and you seem to feel
I remember when I visited you
In 2004. I was worried about my degree if
I was having an authentic university experience if
I was working too hard. If I were good enough. Because
I always expected to win a prize at some point. Always expected
To be rewarded, and I was finding that I did not have the natural talent.
I expected. I always. And you were planning a trip, working in a bookshop
You seemed to be in control.
I’m sorry I was
I was a total cunt
I was to you.
I’m sorry you feel betrayed.
I want your poems.
To be allowed to read them
Again.

Sam




Re. Regarding my previous message

I notice that you haven’t replied to my
previous message.
Listen to me Brian.

you wrote:
“insofar as truth can be found
in what must be at least 100 tonnes of marble
all told”
and
“you let your eyes sink
into the vanishing point” 

These lines make me think of the way you look
how you see nature, or the statues in the museum
I think of you letting your eyes focus
and it makes me jealous.
Because I don’t really see anything
really
I describe objects, I try
to convince my readers, I can observe
a truth or a meaning in the world
but Brian these are unlatched ideas
which I hope I can lend profundity to
with wordplay somehow
But Brian you write as you wish
the words that you choose are           clear

Even this doesn’t make any sense does it.

Brian I can’t make sense of the world
At best I lie.
when you write that line about a handful of French fries
you draw out the salt wet from the clammy
cold things bought and wrapped in cardboard and paper.
Reading that I could feel that those words chime
In a way.
I could see it in the eyes of the people I read to
I could hear in their breaths that what I said
was understood too. I need your words so that
I can speak so that people understand and so that
I get respite from the sense that I’m misread.
Or that I miswrite.

 Sam


Dearest Dearest Brian

it has been a week, has it?
since i wrote to you and i am late home from the pub late
i know
and i am sorry about the text messages
and i am sorry about the missed calls
but i cannot have you hate me for this
or
but i cannot have you take this from me
i write with judgement on my mind
too much judgement in my
oh brian
you and i
we were 13 in 2001
i came on an italian holiday with your family


 Tuscany


you seemed confident with your larynx
and your sexuality
i remember on the night train looking at the girl in the next door booth
every time that she came past.
we waited in the hallway partly with that express purpose
and when we went through paris i was proud to see the eiffel tower
in the distance.
i had won the top bunk, all 4 of your family and i were there
i spent the night shuddering with the train
aware that the girl was only through the wall
you told me that you’d spoken to her
on the way to the toilet
you said you could see her nipples
through her pyjama shirt
i was jealous like she’d taken you as a lover.
remember tom from the year below
i think he would understand
he works at the poetry society now
i understand from googling his name
at a particular low point
brian. i have always been jealous of you
i hope you can understand
i want to read your words
just the same as i wanted to go out with your girlfriends
i am late home from the pub late
home and i am drunk from 10 pints
6 pints i am drunk from so i hope you understand
that i cannot string this together
surely this is inappropriate
surely this is late too late
is it
brian i’m trying to get you to understand
that i feel bad about this
drunk as i am
after four pints
maybe five
and yet I can’t say i wont pass your poems off as my own again
please write back to me


Sam 


I received your emails

I didn’t want to tell you this
I sent you my poems just because
I was told to by my therapist.
In a way you didn’t understand
the ways in which they were about
Our Childhood or Our Friendship
But I notice since you read them aloud
Even though you did not get it
They have had the desired effect.
You needn’t reply to me
Brian.






ok friend…

look at our friendship
when we walked alongside hadrian’s wall
day after day for how many days?
in the dinge and we remembered what it had been
when we were – is it legionnaires? 
you would know the right word
i remember stepping over exposed walls
at one of the forts when you had an idea
for a television programme
called Celts
Exclamation Point
we were leg tired and alone but for
the dutch family
i remember pointing it out to you
where the grey clouds were cracking
we were           Illuminated
i could imagine the photo
i could have taken
where you were lit but how the backdrop
was still ground into murk
by rain
what was it we ate
was it a salmon or a trout
anyway
i was thinking we’d always been all envy
but not then

were we

Brian